Friends, I am super happy today, because phase one of our backyard refresh is DONE. Next month, we will add the sunken gravel fire pit, and we can celebrate again! Woohoo!
Priorities with this project:
- A new outdoor dining space (my request)
- Additional lounge seating (Jay’s request)
- No permanent, major or expensive changes because we have an actual patio renovation planned for next year. (Jay’s request)
- No furnishings that need tarping, and still look nice without cushions. (my request)
- A design that flows from the family room space, and also works with the Tudor Revival exterior of the home. (we both agree here)
- Beautiful but practical fabrics. (all me)
- Minding supply chain issues and buying second-hand when possible.
The design inspiration came from images of outdoor spaces that I have curated of English and French Gardens. There, we see certain elements consistently repeated.
- Stone, gravel, perennial shrubs,
- Outdoor furnishings in natural finishes,
- Weathered metal and wood.
- Nothing feels too precious.
- That charming grey-green-blue color that shows up on windows and doors and shutters, nearly every time.
Which is how we got here:
Removing the old crusty storm door and repainting this original paned wooden back door added the touch of European garden I was looking for. The tiny weathered chair that sits on the stoop was another Marketplace find. It’s perfectly weathered.
True story: I picked up this tablecloth at an antique mall a couple months ago. I’d by lying if I said she didn’t influence this entire photoshoot. LOL
Shall we peek at where we started?
I promise to update it soon with links. For now, I’m going to pour myself a glass of wine and put my feet up, and enjoy our little backyard escape.
Thank you for following along on this journey. I truly appreciate all of the cheerleading and warm feedback. This is an incredible community.
A major thank you to the coordinators of this 2021 Spring One Room Challenge. There is something pretty amazing about hundreds of people participating in a before and after party! Also, special thanks to Better Homes and Gardens, as the media sponsor.
Make sure to see the amazing reveals from the featured designers and check out the ORC guest participant (like me!) reveals as well.
Thanks for cheering me on along the way! Have a fantastic weekend!